Saturday, October 30, 2010

Halloween

I told you I'm a teacher, right? I teach Art at a middle school and it really is my dream job, as far as hanging out with students all day making artwork and having unlimited access to materials to experiment with my own artwork. Yesterday, I played "The Nightmare before Christmas" during class while they were working on their one-point perspective drawings that I affectionately call "View from your window." It can be a view from ANY window they choose. Not surprisingly, by the end of class, there were tons of pumpkins and a few skeletons added to the drawings.

Tim Burton's artwork remains my favorite of all Halloween artwork because of the twists and turns and patterns and the way it fuels your imagination. I have resisted showing students this drawing before they start their perspective drawings, because I am teaching them the techniques of drawing realistically first. It's like learning boring Algebra before the more abstract lessons of geometry (with the pretty shapes). ""Did I just compare Art to Math???"" But, secretly, I prefer the style of imaginative "breaking of the rules for the sake of design." It's like a sassy sentence that starts with "So, I was thinking..." Not grammatically correct, but like an invitation into the writer's thoughts.

P.S. I think it's really fun to play up every holiday that you can and just be a full participant. So, here are this years' pumpkins. Brad carved the Bears logo and I was dreaming of Florida again and so that's where my palm tree comes from.

No comments:

Post a Comment