Tuesday, January 25, 2011

At an early age





I know pretty much for a fact that I could not draw this way when I was in sixth grade!

I was thinking lately though about how YOUNG my students are. They are just barely out of elementary but they shock me with how well they can draw. sometimes. And I started thinking about Picasso learning from the master's when he was just a boy. Or Raphael learning to paint photo realism at the age of twelve.

Maybe a big part of drawing is actually the technical skill. Like, learning to play the piano. But maybe, the reason they became famous is because they decided not to only do what they learned, but break away. Picasso obviously broke away, almost in a rebellious way. Raphael's rebellion was in the form of sculpture as a medium.


If these students are given tools to draw... I mean, actually DRAW, what amazing ways could their artwork go from here, at such an early age.

No comments:

Post a Comment